Polk County Sold Waste provides and schedules residential waste collection for citizens living in unincorporated areas of the County (not within city limits).
ONCE PER WEEK PICK UP!
Place It ALL by the Curb on YOUR Day!
New Changes include:
- single-day, once-per-week collection of all garbage, recycle and yard waste
- new 95-gallon garbage carts assigned to each address for all household garbage
- automated garbage collection
It’s easy! Place all garbage, recycle and yard waste by the curb on your collection day.
AUTOMATED GARBAGE COLLECTION:
- Residents will receive a 95-gallon garbage cart for all household trash.
- A special vehicle is equipped with a lifting mechanism that reaches out to the waste cart, lifts and empties the container returning the cart to its original position.
- NO OTHER container may be used for trash.
WASTE PICKUP SCHEDULE
- All waste collection takes place between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- All garbage, recycle and yard waste should be placed curb-side either the night before or by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- Place all garbage inside your new 95-gallon cart.
- Place the cart within five (5) feet of the curb or street.
- Make sure the handles face away from the street.
- Garbage not inside the cart will not be picked up.
- Too much trash for your cart? See “Big” Trash Days for Instructions.
If you have a long driveway and need something to help transport you new cart to the road, we have a couple of solutions. We currently have in stock the Chore Saver, or the Can Sporter. For a small deposit, you can rent one of these items from our office to make your trash day easier. After visiting the website, please contact our office for more information.
“BIG” TRASH DAYS
We understand there will be times when you produce more garbage than fits in your cart.
You may choose four (4) times per year you may place up to five (5) garbage bags of extra waste next to your new cart. Please call Republic Services before your scheduled trash day to let them know you will have extra trash. Trash must be in bags and set beside your garbage cart.
If you have extra trash bags more often, call Republic Services at (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045 and ask about purchasing a second cart.
- Do not mix garbage and yard waste.
- Place loose yard waste (grass clippings, leaves and small twigs) in paper or plastic lawn and leaf bags or use your old garbage container.
- Place branches and tree trimmings in a neat stack near the curb.
- For large piles (more than the size of a pickup truck bed), call (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045 to arrange for collection.
LARGE OR BULKY ITEMS
The following items will be picked up curbside within 72 hours of notifying Republic Services at (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045:
- Air Conditioners
- Washing Machines
UNACCEPTABLE TRASH ITEMS:
Do NOT place the following materials in your garbage cart or at the curb. If any of these items are found in your cart, the cart will be tagged with an instructional notice and not serviced. Call (863) 284-4319 for proper disposal information.
- Land Clearing Debris
- Construction Materials
- Automobile Parts
- Radioactive Materials
- Explosives, including propane cylinders
- Biomedical Waste, including sharps/syringes used for medical purposes
- Hazardous Wastes, such as:
- Lead-Acid Batteries
- Used Oil or Oil Filters
- Any product labeled:
Rinse and place recyclables in yellow recycle bins beside your garbage cart. Need more yellow recycle bins? Call (863) 665-1489 or (888) 445-5045. Click here for more recycle information.
- All Non-Food Contaminated Paper and Paperboard (junk mail, newspaper, cereal boxes, etc.)
- Plastic Containers #1-7 (water and soda bottles, milk and detergent jugs, butter and yogurt tubs, etc.)
- Steel and Aluminum Cans
- Clear and Colored Glass, but NO ceramic mugs, mirrors or window panes
- Flatten all cardboard
The landfill is closed and waste will not be collected on the following holidays:
- Memorial Day
- July 4
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Eve (Saturday) and Christmas Day (Sunday)
- 2012 Saturday New Years Eve
If the holiday falls on a weekday, your garbage, recycle and yard waste collection will be delayed by one day for that week only. Your regular schedule will resume the following week.
For example: If the holiday falls on Thursday, then Thursday collection service will be provided on Friday and Friday service will be provided on Saturday.
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Call Polk County Waste Resource Management at (863) 284-4319 or Republic Services at (863) 665-1489. OR
- E-mail garbage@ polk-county.net.